Assistant Professor &
Head,Department of Sociology
Women’s Christian College
Mobile No:(0) 9903344897
AREAS OF INTEREST:
Gender Studies, Human Rights, Policing in India with special reference to Community Policing, Prison Studies.
- Served as SRTT Fieldwork Fellow from 1st September 2008 – 30th November 2008 at the School of Women’s Studies, Jadavpur University. The fellowship was sponsored by Sri Ratan Tata Trust.
- ‘Role of Women Police in Community Policing: A Comparative Study of Kolkata Police with West Bengal Police’ (South 24 Parganas). The project (July – November 2006) was funded by the School of Women’s Studies, Jadavpur University.
- ‘A Profile of the Homeless in Metropolitan Calcutta – A Sociological Appraisal’ Study done in partial fulfillment of the requirement for M.A. examination in Sociology, University of Calcutta in the year 1998.
- Presidency / Alipore Correctional Home: A Sociological Study (at individual initiative).
- Community Policing in Kolkata (at an individual initiative).
- Community Policing in India. A Sociological Perspective,Progressive Publisher,Kolkata, 2006.
- ‘Indian Prisons : Towards Reformation, Rehabilitation and Resocialization’ edited by Dr. K. Jaishankar, Tumpa Mukherjee, Priti Bhardwaj, Megha Desai, Atlantic Publishers,New Delhi, 2014.
Articles Published in Books:
- ‘Crimes in Sunderbans : A Sociological Perspective’, In Sunderbans Problems and Prospects, edited by Samit Kar, acb publications, Kolkata, 2005, pp. 114-124.
- ‘Policing in India: Contemporary Issues and Introspection’ In International Perspective on Crime and Justice, edited by K. Jaishankar, Cambridge Scholar Publishing, U.K., 2009, pp. 271-289.
- ‘Cyber Crime in Kolkata’ In Cyber Crime and Digital Disorder, edited by P. Madhava Soma Sundaram and Syed Umarhathab, Publication Division, Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tamil Nadu, 2011, pp. 15-22.
- ‘Women Inmates in Correctional Homes in West Bengal’ In The Rights of the Wrongs Human Rights in India,edited by Dr. Ajanta Paul, Avenel Press, Kolkata, 2013, pp. 225-241.
- ‘Domestic Violence’ In Socio-Economic Justice and Women’s Right, edited by Suresh Mani Tripathi, Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany, 2014.
- ‘Women in Police in India’ In The ‘Other’ Universe: An Anthology of Women’s Studies, edited by Aparna Bandyopadhyay, Setu Prakashani and Women’s Studies Centre, Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata, 2015, pp. 521- 533.
- ‘Training of Subordinate Officers in Police (Civil) in India : An Introspection’ In Indian Police. Expectations, Performances and Constraints, edited by Dr.Raj Kumar & Dr. Kunwar Vijay Pratap Singh, IPS, Kautilya Law Society: Chandigarh, 2016, pp. 89-102.
- ‘From Women to Police Women : Domestic Violence Among Women in Uniform’ In Indian Police. Expectations, Performances and Constraints edited by Dr.Raj Kumar & Dr. Kunwar Vijay Pratap Singh, IPS, Kautilya Law Society: Chandigarh, 2016, pp. 182-194.
- “Women Police : Their ‘Unexplored’ Private Sphere” In Police In the Contemporary Society, edited by Dr. Janaki M.C. And Anil Kumar S, IGGA Publication House, Mysuru, 2017, pp. 1-46.
- ‘ Are Women in Police Empowered ?’ In Women’s Journey Towards Empowerment. A Myth or a Reality?, edited by Bidisha Chatterjee, Tanju Datta, Payel Bose Biswas, Towards Freedom, Kolkata, 2018, pp.161 -163.
- Policing in India today with Special Reference to Community Policing in the Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, Scottish Church College, Number 1, January 2004, pp. 227-236.
- Community Policing: A Sociological Perspective in Socialist Perspective, Vol. 31, No.3-4, Dec 03-March 04, pp. 151-164.
- Innovative Policing Schemes implemented by Kolkata Police in the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy Journal, Vol. 56, No. 2, July – Dec 2004, pp. 63-66.
- Community Policing in Kolkata in Indian Police Journal, Jan-March 2005, Bureau of Police Research & Development, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, pp. 7-13.
- Rape : A Sociological Study in West Bengal Political Science Review, Vol. VIII, No. I & II, Jan-Dec 2005, pp. 316-328.
- The ‘Rape of Human Values in Samajtattva (bi-lingual), Association for Social Studies Vol. XI, Issue II, December 2005, pp. 11-21.
- Crimes Committed upon Senior Citizens in Urban India: A Case Study analysis in Ageing and Society, The Indian Journal of Gerontology, Vol. XV, No. III & IV, July-September 2005, October-December 2005, pp. 55-74.
- Role of Police in Prevention of Crimes committed upon Senior Citizens in Indian Police Journal, Vol. LIII, No.2, April-June 2006 Bureau of Police Research & Development, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, pp. 43-49.
- A Comparative study of Two Correctional Home in Kolkata: A Sociological Perspective in Socialist Perspective, Dec 2007-March 2008, Vol. 35, No. 3-4.
- Nigel Akkara: From a Sociological Perspective published in the Pakistan Journal of Criminology, Vol.7, No. 1, Jan-June 2015, pp.17-27.
- Dance Therapy in Correctional Homes in West Bengal –Rhetoric or Reality? published in the Indian Journal of Socio-Legal Studies, Vol. IV, Issue II, July-Dec 2015, pp.17-25.
- Nigel Akkara: A Case Study ( A Socio-Criminological Analysis) published in The West Bengal Political Science Review, Vol. XVIII, No. 1 and 2, 2015-16, pp.378- 406.
- Nigel Akkara: A Sociological Study published in the Indian Journal of Socio-Legal Studies, Vol. V, Issue I, Jan-June2016, pp. 25-38.
- The Sociology of Prison: An Empirical Study of Alipore Women’s Correctional Home published in the Socialist Perspective, Vol.42, No. 3-4, December 2014-March 2015, pp.189-201
- Women in Police in India: Emerging Trends and Future Prospects published in Aureole. An Academic Journal, Vol.6&7 (No.2), 2016, pp.80-91.
Articles published in Magazine (print and online)
- Introduction of Criminology is the need of the Hour in West Bengal published in Cops Today International Magazine, Vol.01, No.06. November –December 2016.
- Community Policing in Kolkata Police published in Cops Today International Magazine, Vol.01, No.2 , March- April 2016, pp.12-13.
- Women in Police: An Indian Perspective published in Cops Today International Magazine, Issue No: 3, September-October 2015, pp. 6-8.
- International Women in Law Enforcement – Leadership, Collaboration and Security-A Report on Conference held at SVP National Police Academy, Hyderabad, 6th -8th October, 2015 published in Cops Today International Magazine, Issue No: 3, September-October 2015, p.27.
- Book Review: Beyond Apu Brings Out the Versatility of Soumitra Chatterjee published in Silhouette Magazine. A publication on Cinema and Allied Art Forms. Published on 19th April 2016.
learningandcreativity.com/silhouette/book-review-beyond-apu-brings-out-the versatility-of –soumitra-chatterjee/
- Nigel Akkara : A Journey From Underworld to Celluloid, published in the ‘article of the month section’,in Flimbuff,an international film journal.
Articles Published in Newsletter:
- ‘Sexual Harassment at Workplace in Correctional Service: The Need for Gender Sensitization’, published in the Newsletter, Women’s Study Centre, Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata, Vol.4, March 2013, pp.34-35.
- ‘Suprabha Ray –A Biographical Sketch’, published in the Newsletter, Women’s Studies Centre, Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata, Vol.08, March 2017. ISSN : 2395-4299.
Chapters Contributed as a Part of Research Project:
(a)‘Sexual Harassment at the Workplace : Foreign and Indian Laws’,(b) ‘Interagency Liaison for Tackling Sexual Harassment at Workplace’ for the research project on ‘Sexual Harassment at Workplace in Police’ conducted by Prof. A.K. Saxena (Retd.) Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, Hyderabad.
Articles Published as Conference Proceedings:
- ‘Policing in India today : A Critical Appraisal’ published in the Annual Conference Proceedings of Asian Association of Police Studies (AAPS) hosted jointly by AAPS and Royal Thai Police Academy, edited by Dr. Changwon Pyo and Dr. Thatchai Pitaneelaboot, pp. 67-76.
- ‘Police and Human Rights in India’ published in the Proceedings of the UGC sponsored state level seminar on Human Rights and Displacement organized by the Department of Philosophy, Scottish Church College, Kolkata, pp. 89-100.
- ‘Bring in the Masses to Police’ published in the Fifth Column, The Telegraph, 24th June, 2003.
- ‘The People should serve as the Eyes and Ears of the Police’ published in the Platform Section, Kolkata Live, Hindustan Times on 27th July 2003.
- ‘Toward the Oasis of Peace’ published in the Fifth Column, The Telegraph, 21st January 2005.
- ‘Bring Cheer to the Aged’ published in the Fifth Column, The Telegraph, 10th May 2006.
- ‘A History of Unfair Play’ published in the Fifth Column, The Telegraph, 25th May 2006.
- ‘Guard the Guards’ published in the Fifth Column, The Telegraph, 4th January 2007.
- ‘Peril on the Streets’ published in the Fifth Column, The Telegraph, 18th July 2007.
- ‘A Gilded Cage’ published in the Fifth Column, The Telegraph, 30th May 2016.
- ‘Under the thumb’ published in the Fifth Column, The Telegraph, 8th June 2016.
- ‘Crime Watch’ published in the Fifth Column, The Telegraph, 27th October 2016.
- ‘The Dilemma of Justice’ published in the Frontier, Vol.37, No.52, July 17-23.
- ‘Rape, Victim and Society’ published in the Frontier,Vol.38, No. 1, July 24-30, 2005.
- ‘What is Wrong with Indian Police’ published in the Frontier, Vol. 38, No.5, August 21-27, 2005.
- ‘Elderly Inmates in Correctional Homes’ published in the Frontier,Vol. 38, No.7, September 4-10, 2005.
PAPER PRESENTED AT INTERNATIONAL AND NATIONAL SEMINARS / CONFERENCES:
- ‘Policing in India Today : a Critical Appraisal’ presented at the 7th Annual Asian Association of Police Studies (AAPS) conference hosted jointly by AAPS and Royal Thai Police Academy, Bangkok, Thailand, 4th-7th September 2006.
- Presented a paper ‘Negotiating Violence in the Private Sphere : Few Case Studies’ at the UGC-CPE Sponsored International Conference on Gender & Empowerment organized by Bijoy Krishna Girls’ College, Howrah in Collaboration with School of Women’s Studies, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, on 16th and 17th December, 2016.
- Presented a paper ‘Calcutta / Kolkata through the Lens of Crime’ at the International Seminar on the History and Heritage of Bengal on 24th January 2018 at the Pabna University of Science and Technology, organized by the Pabna University of Science and Technology, Pabna, Bangladesh and Prabahaman Bangla Charcha, Kolkata, India.
- Presented a paper ‘Women in Kolkata Police (West Bengal, India)’ at the 5th International Congress of Bengal Studies, held during 25th -28th January 2018 at Jahangirnagar University, Savar, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Presented a paper ‘Are Women in Police Empowered’ at the U.G.C. sponsored Two Day National Seminar on ‘Women’s Journey Towards Empowerment : A Myth or A Reality’ jointly organized by Ramakrishna Sarada Mission Vivekananda Vidyabhavan and Women’s Studies Centre, Lady Brabourne College, on 8th April 2017.
- Presented a paper ‘ Sexual Violence and the Role of State – A Study of Women Police Stations in West Bengal’ at the XV National Conference on Women’s Studies,organized by the Indian Association of Women’s Studies, held in the University of Madras, Chennai, from 22nd to 25th January 2017.
- Presented a paper ‘From Karaghar (Jail) to Correctional Home’ at the 39th All India Criminology Conference of the Indian Society of Criminology, held from 22nd September 2016 to 24th September 2016 at the National Law University, Odisha.
- Presented a paper entitled ‘Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace in Police-A Micro Study’ at the UGC sponsored National Seminar on ‘Women Empowerment : A Third World Perspective’ organized by the Department of Geography, Sivnath Sastri College, Kolkata, in collaboration with the Centre for Studies in Social Science, Kolkata.
- Presented a paper ‘Her’ Story in Police in India at an ICSSR sponsored Two Days National Seminar on ‘Indian Police : Expectations, Performance and Constraints’ on 5th November 2014 organised by the DAV College, Jalandhar, Punjab with the cooperation and collaboration of Punjab Police (through video-conferencing).
- Presented a paper titled ‘Cultural Therapy in Correctional Homes in West Bengal’ at the two-day National Workshop titled ‘Embodying Gender: Body and Dance in Social Context’ organized by the School of Women’s Studies, Jadavpur University held on 28th -29th March 2014 at Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
- Presented a paper titled ‘From Social Worker to Professionals: “Her” Story in Police in India’ in the Sub Theme Documenting Gendered Histories : National, Regional and Local at the 14th National Conference on Women’s Studies on ‘Equality, Pluralism and the State : Perspectives from the Women’s Movement’ organized by Indian Association for Women’s Studies, New Delhi in collaboration with Cotton College State University, Guhawati and Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Guhawati, held in Gauhati University from 4th to 7th February 2014.
- Presented a paper ‘Women in Police in India- Problems and Future Prospects’ at a National Seminar on ‘Society, Governance and Police: India in the Post Millennium Period’ organized by the Department of Political Science, University of Kalyani in collaboration with Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies, Kolkata and Indian Council of Social Science Research, New Delhi on 18th November 2013.
- Participated at a group discussion on the ‘Organized Response to increase Number of Women in Police’ at the 4th National Conference of Women in Police, held on 15th-17th September 2010, at Bhubaneswar, hosted by Orissa Police in collaboration with the Bureau of Police Research and Development, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi.
- Presented a paper ‘Women in Prisons : Problems and Perspectives’ at the State Level Annual Two Day Seminar on ‘Women in 21st Century : Issues and Challenges’ organized by the Department of Sociology, RabindraBharati University, on 27th March 2018.
- Delivered a talk at the state-level workshop on ‘Research Methodology’ organized by the Department of Sociology, Rabindra Bharati University, on 20th -21st February , 2017.
- Delivered a lecture on ‘New Legal Provision Related to Violence Against Women in India’ as a part of Inter-Disciplinary Extension Lecture Programme under Faculty Development Programme of Women’s Christian College on 24th March 2014.
- Presented a paper ‘Women Police – Path to Empowerment: Rhetoric or Reality(in Indian context with special reference to West Bengal)’ at the School of Women’s Studies, Jadavpur University, as a part of SRTT Fieldwork Fellowship Program on 27th November 2008
- Delivered a lecture ‘Women Police in Community Policing: A Comparative Study of Kolkata Police with West Bengal Police’ at the School of Women’s Studies, Jadavpur University on 11th September 2007.
Invited as Speakers/ Resource Persons:
- Participated in an interactive awareness campaign on ‘Juvenile Crime – A Multi Dimensional Perspective’ organized by the Department of Political Science, Jangipur College, Murshidabad on 12th December 2015.
- Delivered a talk on ‘ Women Prisoners and Women Police’ in Special Lecture Series in the Department of Sociology, Rabindra Bharati University to the students of Semester III (Post-Graduate) on 14th September 2016.
- Invited to conduct a session on ‘Sex and Gender Construction: Portrayal in Indian Films’ on 8th March 2017 for a short term course on ‘Gender Justice –Emerging Issues, Trends and Challenges’ organized by the Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, from 6th March-10th March 2017.
- Invited to give a talk on ‘Sexual Harassment at Workplace in Police and Correctional Services –Few Case Studies’ at a two-day National Seminar titled ‘Economic Empowerment and Violence against Women –Understanding the Backlash’ on 16th March 2017, at the Centre for Women’s Studies, Visva Bharati University.
- Delivered a lecture on ‘Corporal Punishment to Rehabilitation of Prisoners’ in the Department of History, Diamond Harbour Women’s University on 17th May 2017.
- Invited to present a paper on ‘Women as Prison Administrators with Special Reference to West Bengal’ at the National Conference on ‘Uniformed Women in Prison Administration’ on 15th September 2017 organized by the Bureau of Police Research and Development, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi.
- Participated in the week-long workshop on Quantitative Research Methods in Social Science Using SPSS during 30th January -4th February 2017 organised by the Institute of Development Studies, Kolkata.
- Participated at a Workshop on ‘Protection of Women Against Domestic Violence (PWDVA),2005 held from 24th August 2015 to 26th August 2015 at the National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development, Regional Centre, Guwahati.
- Participated at an Experiential Leadership Workshop held at the American Centre, Kolkata on 9th–10th September 2010. The workshop was sponsored by the Department of State, United States Of America.
i) Participated at the International Visitors Leadership Program on Human Rights Advocacy and Awareness held at Washington D.C., Alabama, San Francisco, U.S.A. from 8th – 19th March, 2010. The program was sponsored by the Department of State, U.S.A.
Contributed Articles as Citizen Journalist for www.merinews.com.
- Growing up with Shashi Kapoor and his films published on 8th November 2017
- Begum Jaan Movie Review: The film fails to be our jaan! published on 16th April 2017.
- Movie Review of Bengali film ‘Asampto’ published on 6th March 2017
- Movie Review –Raes – Bollywood potboiler depicting the dark world of crime published on 31st January 2017
- Movie Review of Kahani 2 published on 6th December 2016
- Review of short film Raju Safaiwala published on 13th November 2016.
- Movie Review: Zulfiqar : Kolkata’s Underworld in Celluloid published on 8th October 2016.
- De-constructing Bengali film ‘Prakton’ published on 4th June 2016
- Damned if you do, damned if you don’t published on 28th May 2016.
- An interview with Bengali film-maker Prajna Dutta published on 22nd May 2016.
- The ‘Politics’ of Rape published on 20th May 2016
- Why is Nigel Akkara coveted? published on 7th May 2016.
- Library for the ‘Caged Children’ published on 3rd May 2016.
- Learning self-defense techniques is need of the hour for both men and women published on 29th April 2016.
- Movie Review: Jai Gangajal published on 26th April 2016.
- Book Review : ‘Suchitra Sen –The Legend and the Enigma’ published on 7th March 2016.
- Movie Review- Pachaar : A Short Film on Human Trafficking published on 20th January 2016.
- Socio-psycho analysis of Nigel Akkara: A social entrepreneur, actor, and social worker published on 9th November 2015.
- Review: Bengali movie ‘Rajkahani’ published on 22nd October 2015
- Silence Speaks published on 17th October 2015
- Nigel Akkara: From reel life to real life published on 27th April 2015.
- Nigel Akkara from a Researcher’s Point of View published on 1st March 2015.
- Reflecting on Candid Nigel : Faces of a Personality published on 16th February 2015.
- Treading the Rough Terrain: Shakti Sharma an inspiration for Women in Police published on 3rd November 2014.
- Breaking the Binary : The Tale of Nigel Akkara published on 11th October 2014.
- Do all teachers serve as beacon in our life published on 4th September 2014.
- A visit to India-Bangladesh border published on19thAugust 2014.
- An Open letter to ‘Didi’, the CM of West Bengal, on the condition of women in police department published on 12th August 2014.
- From being a lifer in jail to becoming a movie star : Is Nigel Akkara the face of Reform, published on 14th June 2014.
- Gender sensitization of men and women in Uniform, published on 3rd November 2012.
- Kolkata gang rape : Preventive measures to reduce rape cases, Part I, II, III published on 21st February 2012.
- Women Cop needs support, facilities to act as change agents, published on 27th September 2010.
- Juvenile crime has to be handled with a new perspective, published on 18th August 2010.
- Challenges of new age parenting, published on 23rd August 2009.
- Establishing Solidarity is the need of the hour, published on 19th March 2008.
- Clash of Culture, published on 25th February 2008.
- Rising Crime in Salt Lake City, published on 24th February 2008.
1. Served as the Joint Convenor for the UGC sponsored National Seminar on ‘Cyber Crime in the Twenty-First Century in India’ held on 28th November 2014.
2. Served as Program Officer of the Gender Sensitization Unit, Women’s Study Cell, Women’s Christian College, Kolkata. As Program Officer organized and Implemented ‘Women, Violence and Rights’ project for the year 2016 17. The project is sponsored by United Board for Christian Higher Education in Asia. In this project workshops on Self Defence Program, Trafficking of Women and Children, Musical Meditation and an academic seminar was organized.