Women’s Study Cell of Women’s Christian College has been set up with an aim to sensitize students on gender related issues through wokshops, seminars and awareness campaigns on women’s rights and related issues like violence against women and women’s health. The Study Cell also has an empowerment wing entitled ‘SUCHARU’ which imparts vocational training in tailoring and embroidery to young women, including some students of the college.
ACTIVITIES OF THE GENDER SENSITIZATION WING OF WOMEN’S STUDY CELL
EVENTS UNDER THE UBCHEA PROJECT (DURATION MAY 2016-JUNE 2017)
- Self- defense Programme in collaboration with 7th Chakra for Self Preservation on 27th August, 2016.
- Workshop on Trafficking of Women and Children on 18th November, 2016. Dr. Subrata Sarkar, Smt. Mou Bhattacharya and Smt. Moumita Chatterjee were the resource persons. Smt. Naina Prasad of ‘Sanved’ conducted a dance therapy workshop.
- Seminar on Women, Violence and Rights on 10TH March, 2017.Prof. Geraldine Forbes, Professor Emeritus , Department of History, State University of New York, Oswego delivered keynote address on ‘Gender and Political Violence’.
- Workshop on Elocution on 28th and 29th April, 2017 in collaboration with Alumni Association of the college. The resource persons were Sri JagannathBasu, the renowned theatre personality and his team.
- Workshop on Musical Meditation on 2nd May, 2017 conducted by Mr. Nigel Akkara and his team from Kolkata Facilities Management Private Limited.
Workshop on Self-Defense
Workshop on Trafficking of Women and Children and Dance Therapy
Prof. Geraldine Forbes (Seminar on Women, Violence and Rights)
Sri JagannathBasu at the Elocution Workshop
SUCHARU (EMPOWERMENT WING OF WOMEN’S STUDY CELL)
- One year Tailoring Course, (Dec 2014-2015). Participants were young women from Kulberia village in South 24 Parganas.
- Six months Embroidery Course, (April 2017-September 2017). Participants were students of the college, non-teaching staff and young women residing in the vicinity area of the college.
- Six months Tailoring Course, (May 2018-October 2018).Participants are ex-students of our college and few young women from the neighboring area of the college.