The Anti- Sexual Harassment Cell has been established to provide a healthy and congenial atmosphere to all the staff members and students. The cell meets the following objectives :
- To develop guidelines and norms for a policy against sexual harassment.
- To develop principles and procedures for combating sexual harassment.
- To work out details for the implementation of the policy.
- To prepare a detailed plan of actions, both short and long term.
- To collaborate with the Women’s Study Cell, Women’s Christian College,
- To organize gender sensitization awareness programmes.
Till now no cases of sexual harassment at workplace have been registered.
Internal Complaints Committee
The United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women adopted the following recommendation: Gender based violence is a form of discrimination which seriously inhibits women’s ability to enjoy rights and freedom on the basis of equality with men.
The National Policy for Empowerment of Women (2001), Government of India, had emphasized the elimination of discrimination and all forms of violence against women in both the public and the private sphere. Institutions and mechanisms /schemes for assistance are to be created and strengthened for prevention of such violence including sexual harassment at workplace.
The Teachers’ Council, Women’s Christian College had met on 21st December 2012 to discuss the issue of sexual harassment at workplace. In this meeting a decision was adopted to constitute an Internal Complaints Committee.
As per Sec 6 (2) of the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition, Redressal) Act, 2013 an Internal Complaints Committee was duly formed in the college to look into, and adjudicate matters relating to any kind of sexual harassment meted out to students or female employees in the institution.
To that end the college has been vigilant about instances of gender discrimination, victimization and abuse, and acted promptly to address/redress any issues that violated the provisions of the said Act.
Moreover, it plays a proactive role in averting instances of sexual harassment by motivating students to attend the programmes organized by the Women’s Study Cell of the college on gender discrimination, sexual harassment, relevant legislation for the empowerment of women and other related concerns.
The Internal Complaints Committee in the college is constituted of the following members:
- Dr. Ajanta Paul, Principal of the college & Chairperson of the Committee
- Dr. Nibedita Raha, Senior Faculty Member & Nodal Officer.
- Dr. Mitashree Chakrabarty, Senior Faculty Member
- Dr. Jayita Mukhopadhyaya, IQAC Coordinator.
- Dr. Tumpa Mukherjee, Faculty Member & Social Liaison Officer
- Dr. Guinea Bhattacharyya, Faculty Member & Advisor, Students’ Union.
- Sm Gargi Das, Lawyer.